Even with regular cleaning and proper care, marble can become scratched and dulled over time. These surface scratches can be removed at home, usually without the services of a professional. Here are the recommended methods.
You Will Need:
- Fine sandpaper or Grade #000 steel wool or Gel Gloss
- Soft cloths
- Marble Polish
- Use either fine sandpaper or steel wool to carefully sand or buff out the scratches. If using sandpaper make sure you select the correct grit or you may make more scratches than you remove.
- If Gel Gloss is used, follow the application instructions on the package.
- Rinse the area with water.
- Dry with a soft cloth.
- Apply a marble polish to restore shine and protect the new surfaces.
Additional Tips and Advice
- If the scratches are very small and only on the surface, they can sometimes be buffed out with a soft cloth and a good cleaning.
- Deep scratches or major problem areas should be fixed by a professional. Ensure they are experienced with your particular type of marble.
- Cultured marble is not the same as true marble and cannot be fixed with the procedures above.